Rachel Wellner Wiki
Rachel Wellner is the 43-year-old New York City surgeon who was arrested three years ago after striking a police officer with her car. The cancer doctor with a God complex who claimed cops manhandled her during a spat over a parking ticket won nearly $1.2 million in an excessive force lawsuit Friday. Wellner has won a $1.2 million lawsuit against the city after she charged that the arresting officer used excessive force against her. Wellner was seeking $30 million in damages but said she was “happy” with the outcome of the case.
COURTHOUSE CONFIDENTIAL – UNNECESSARILY: In #SDNY, “Cop Ram Doc” Rachel Wellner Wins $1.2 Million Jury Award Not On Docket Still For 3 Days, @SDNYLIVE Asks Why https://t.co/MUxyToMqJB pic.twitter.com/3tlWC8n8jH
— Inner City Press (@innercitypress) April 28, 2019
During the clash with cops, police said Wellner went on a rant about how her job-saving lives made her superior to them. “I’m a doctor,” she said, according to police.”I have patients that are dying. I have to go.”
SDNY in overtime: There was a jury verdict today but what was itt? In Rachel Wellner v. Davodian, et al. 16-CV-07032 (JGK), Judge Koeltl’s courtroom door was locked and it was said the result would be posted on the docket. But not yet as of 7 pm. #crowdsourcing pic.twitter.com/5Z0TeOpW47
— SDNYLIVE (@sdnylive) April 26, 2019
She later pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge, was sentenced to 10 days of community service — and then sued the city in September 2016.
Officer Niguel Vega Vega admitted during the trial he had come into physical contact with Wellner. But it wasn’t immediately clear how the jury determined he had used excessive force or why she was awarded $1.2 million.
The jury of six women and four men voted unanimously in Wellner’s favor but awarded her far less money than she demanded.
Dr. Rachel Wellner — a former Bronx surgeon who told NYPD Police Officers “I’m the hero; the cops are not” …has won nearly $1.2 million in an excessive force lawsuit against the NYPD.https://t.co/PIPf0ZTAxJ
— NYC EMS Watch (@NYCEMSwatch) April 27, 2019
10 Facts You Need to Know
- She Says a Police Officer Punched Her in the Chest & Grabbed Her by the Breasts After Writing Her a Parking Ticket
- Rachel Wellner, 43, initially filed a $30 million suit against the city, claiming her civil rights were violated when an officer allegedly pushed her and grabbed her
- After Her Arrest, Wellner Penned an Erotic Novel Which She Said Was Loosely Based on Her Own Life
- According to a police report, she told the officers: ‘I’m a doctor. I have patients that are dying. I’m the hero, the cops are not…I have to go’
- Wellner Is Suing Montefiore Hospital for Firing Her After the Arrest
- However, in her suit, Wellner claimed the officers had been physically and verbally abusive for her, so she decided to flee the scene
- Wellner Started a Career in Stand-Up Comedy After Her Arrest
- At Friday’s trial, Officer Niguel Vega admitted during that he had come into physical contact with Wellner, but denied using excessive force
- Wellner Says that After the Arrest, She Considered Suicide & Couldn’t Leave Her Apartment for Weeks
- The jury of six women and four men voted unanimously in favor of Wellner, but awarded her far less money than she initially requested