Olivia Paregol Bio, Olivia Paregol Wiki
Olivia Paregol Wiki: 18 years old Olivia Paregol, a University of Maryland student dies from Adenovirus
Olivia Paregol Bio
Olivia Paregol was an 18 years old freshman at the University of Maryland, College Park studying criminology. She died on Sunday 18th November 2018, of complications from adenovirus. She hailed Glenwood in Howard County and had been sick since early in the semester when she first developed a cough. Her condition worsened and she contracted pneumonia. Her father, Ian Paregol stated that After she left school on 31st October 2018. A home Physician attended her on 5th November. She was diagnosed with pneumonia during a 6th November emergency room visit at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She later returned to the emergency room on 9th November. On 12th November, she was admitted to the intensive care unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital before she died on 18th November.
Olivia Paregol Adenovirus
Adenoviruses are medium-sized, nonenveloped viruses with an icosahedral nucleocapsid containing a double-stranded DNA genome. The virus, which has more than 50 strains, can cause illnesses ranging from common colds to pneumonia. Fever, diarrhea, intestinal infections, and neurological diseases are also possible, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Serious conditions stemming from adenovirus are rare, but they are more common in people with lower immune systems, according to the CDC. Olivia Paregol was at risk because medication she was taking to combat Crohn’s disease weakened her immune system, her father said.
The university first learned of the adenovirus case on 1st November 2018, and since then five additional cases have been reported. On Monday 19th November 2018, the university learned the CDC identified one case as adenovirus 7, a strain that can cause more severe illness as per the university’s health director, Dr. David McBride.
Measures took by The University of Maryland, College Park Measures to Curb the Virus
The University of Maryland, College Park is taking considerable measures to stem the spread of adenovirus. The university health center, residential buildings, transportation services, recreation centers, and student union are increasing cleaning of “high-touch surfaces” and restrooms, according to the health center. And the school’s dining services are changing self-service utensils every 15 minutes.
Could Olivia Paregol’s Death Been Avoided
Olivia Paregol family is questioning whether the university — which has seen several cases of the illness — could have done more to prevent her death and whether it was related to a mold outbreak in some dorms.
In an FAQ about adenovirus on the University Health Center’s website, the center said there was not a clear link between mold found in dorms and adenovirus.
Besides the mold, Paregol father stated that he is more concerned about whether the university knew there were students on campus with adenovirus before his daughter contracted the virus, particularly because she visited the health center frequently, and the medication she took for Crohn’s suppressed her immune system. Paregol said the health center should have known Olivia was at risk because the center received and dispensed her medication.
Paregol’s father said he called the university seeking information about the mold on campus to find out whether that might affect Olivia’s condition. Eventually, he said, he spoke with McBride, and the university ultimately relayed information about adenovirus cases on campus to Johns Hopkins Hospital doctors. She then tested positive for adenovirus. The father maintains that had the information about the virus been relayed a week earlier, maybe her daughter could have been saved.