Norma Miller Wiki
Norma Miller was born in 1919 in Harlem, New York into mother Alma and father Norman, a soldier, both from Bridgetown, Barbados. Norma was named after her father, who died from pneumonia a month before her birth. She had an older sister, Dot. Miller took dance lessons from a young age.
Norma Miller Books/Work
What are your favorite memories of and anecdotes about Norma Miller? We’d love to share the best ones on Yehoodi, so we have a record of how much she meant to us as a community. pic.twitter.com/KSn6xWqbby
— yehoodi (@yehoodi) May 6, 2019
Miller authored several books, including Me & John Biffar: A Love Story, Swing, Baby Swing!, Swingin’ at the Savoy: The Memoir of a Jazz Dancer, Stompin’ at the Savoy: The Story of Norma Miller, and The Redd Foxx Encyclopedia of Black Humor, co-written by Miller and Redd Foxx.
Norma Miller Age
She was born on December 2, 1919 in Harlem, New York, United States. She died on May 5, 2019 in Fort Meyers, Florida aged 99.
Norma Miller Family
She was born to Alma (mother) and Norman (father), a soldier. She had an older sister, Dot. Her father died from pneumonia a month before her birth and Norma was named after him.
Norma Miller Husband
She was never married. However, she was in a long-term relationship with fellow Hellzapoppin’ performer Roy Glenn from 1941 to 1947.
Norma Miller Death
Rest in power and greatness to this grand dame of the Lindy, Norma Miller. A jazz dance legend. Her legacy lives on the hearts & dancing of too many to count. Our history books should do better by her name. Norma Miller 1919-2019. #knowyourjazzdancehistory #normamiller pic.twitter.com/TAEEGOYIjF
— JazzDanceDirect (@DirectJazz) May 5, 2019
L’actrice, chorégraphe & danseuse de lindy hop Norma Miller est décédée.
La Queen of Swing avait 99 ans.
?️ Hellzapoppin’ (H. C. Potter 1941)pic.twitter.com/8jkjkTXCOo
— ? VHS Collector ? (@CollectorVhs) May 5, 2019
She died on May 5, 2019, in Fort Meyers, Florida. She was 99.
Norma Miller Cause of Death
Norma Miller’s cause of death was not revealed.
Norma Miller Nationality
She was of American nationality.
Norma Miller Ethnicity
She was of African American ethnicity.
10 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Miller was never married
- Norma Miller was an American lindy hop dancer, choreographer, actress, author, and comedian known as the “Queen of Swing”.
- Miller appeared in Las Vegas for the first time in 1942 at the El Cortez as part of an all-black revue
- Miller added comedienne to her resume in the early ’60s with encouragement from Redd Foxx
- Miller thinks New York-New York would be the ideal spot for a live version of “Swingin’ at the Savoy,
- Miller will travel to Florida in December to discuss financing with a movie production company for a film version of “Swingin’ at the Savoy
- Miller participates in water aerobics daily in part to stay in shape
- In 2003, Miller was honored with a National Heritage Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts for creating and continuing to preserve “the acrobatic style of swing dancing known as the Lindy Hop”.