Michael Webb Wiki
Webb is accused of kidnapping an 8-year-old girl Salem Sabatka on Saturday evening, Officer Buddy Calzada said.
A 51-year-old man was booked into the Tarrant County Jail on a charge of aggravated kidnapping just before 6 a.m. Sunday, according to booking records.
Bond has not yet been set for Michael Webb.
Salem Sabatka was walking with her mother near Lowden Street and 6th Avenue just after 6:30 p.m. Saturday when a man grabbed her and pulled her into his car, police said.
KIDNAPPING: Zoom in on video, police say you can see mom being tossed from car after she tried to jump in to get her 8yo daughter Salem Sabatka. Police working this is a kidnapping — started on 6th Ave in Ryan Place area of FW. Please follow @fortworthpd for how to help. @wfaa pic.twitter.com/JX9mtthgyo
— Bradley Blackburn (@BLBlackburn) May 19, 2019
A video from a nearby porch security camera captured the back of the driver’s car speeding away. In the video, Salem’s mother could be heard screaming that her daughter was kidnapped.
Salem was found safe about eight hours later — at about 2:30 a.m. — at the WoodSprings Suites hotel in Forest Hill.
Calzada said two people who attend a local church saw the suspect’s car and led police to the hotel where Salem was found. The church members saw the photo of the car on social media and drove around to help find the girl.
Police went into the hotel, breached a door and found Salem inside. Webb was arrested.
Salem was taken to a local hospital to be examined by doctors, but Calzada said she appeared physically unharmed.
Calzada said Webb didn’t know Salem.
After police said they activated an Amber Alert for Salem, people took to social media to complain that they never received an alert. Officers told reporters on Saturday night that they were looking into what happened. A question about why the alert didn’t make it to area phones wasn’t answered on Sunday morning.
Police have said they plan to release more information in the next day or so.
Webb doesn’t have a criminal history in Tarrant County, according to court records. His last known address is listed in Tyler, records say. Police also wouldn’t provide information on Sunday morning about where Webb currently lives, or what happened in the time between Salem being kidnapped and being found.
Webb has arrest records in Bowie County dating back to 1989 including burglary of a vehicle, burglary of a building, failure to identify as a fugitive and resisting arrest. In Tyler, Webb has been arrested on charges of terroristic threats, evading arrest and drug possession.
“This comes from the heart of the Fort Worth Police Department. I want to thank all of our followers,” Calzada said after the suspect was taken into custody. “We’re a great police department, but with you on our side, we’re able to be more effective. You guys were a huge asset to helping Salem get home safe.
APD has been requested to assist @fortworthpd throughout the night. We have dispatched several officers to their command post. Praying for #SalemSabatka safe return. This is a picture of the shirt she was wearing when she was abducted. This is an image of the car FWPD pushes out. pic.twitter.com/AwQfvs0FCR
— Arlington Police, TX (@ArlingtonPD) May 19, 2019
“It’s taken a whole city behind us to make this happen.”
During the press update, Calzada said that Webb is facing potential charges of aggravated kidnapping which is classified as a first degree felony. No other information about Webb has been made public.
10 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- An Amber Alert has been issued for Salem Sabatka who was kidnapped by an ‘unknown light skinned black male’ while on a walk with her mother in Fort Worth
- The man grabbed Salem and her mother jumped into the car in an attempt to rescue her daughter, but the man pushed her out and drove off
- It happened just after 6.30 p.m. on Saturday in Fort Worth’s Ryan Place neighborhood
- CCTV footage has emerged showing the suspected car and Salem’s mother thrown out of the vehicle before it drives away
- Police have issued descriptions of the suspect and his car and released a photo of Salem wearing the same shirt she had on when she was abducted
- Salem Sabatka was found safe at a Fort Worth hotel at around 2am Sunday
- Michael Webb, 51, was taken into custody on a charge of aggravated kidnapping
- Eight-year-old Salem had been missing for over seven hours after being kidnapped in broad daylight while on a walk with her mother Saturday evening
- CCTV footage showed a man grabbing Salem and putting her into his car in Fort Worth’s Ryan Place neighborhood
- Her mother jumped into the car and tried to rescue her daughter before the man pushed her out and drove off
- Police shared descriptions of the suspect and his car, which two citizens spotted at the WoodSprings Suites hotel less than eight miles away