Mary Daly Wiki
Mary Katherine Barr Daly, 41, an attorney in the Treasury Department and former Director of Opioid Enforcement at the Justice Department, is the daughter of Attorney General William Barr.
Daly announced that she was leaving her job at the Justice Department the day before her father was sworn in. Her husband, Michael Daly, still works in the National Security Division of the Justice Department.
Mary Daly is still a new face at the Treasury Department, which is currently led by Secretary Steven Mnuchin. Daly joined the department as a senior advisor to Director Mnuchin in March of 2019.
According to her Linkedin profile, Daly is also involved with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. The bureau’s mission is described on the government website as safeguarding “the financial system from illicit use and combat money laundering and promote national security through the collection, analysis, and dissemination of financial intelligence and strategic use of financial authorities.” The mission involves identifying potential sources that finance terrorism.
Mary Daly served as the Director of Opioid Enforcement and Prevention Efforts in the Justice Department for one year, beginning in February of 2018. The position was created in December of 2017.
Then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions praised Daly in a news release announcing her hiring. “In the midst of the deadliest drug crisis in American history, we need to prosecute drug crimes aggressively and use our resources wisely. That’s why today I am happy to announce that Mary Daly will help the Department of Justice coordinate our anti-opioid efforts. Mary is a talented and experienced prosecutor and she will help us act as effectively as possible in this time of crisis.”
Fast Facts about Mary Daly You Need to Know
- Mary Daly Joined the Treasury Department in February of 2019 as a Senior Advisor to the Director
- Mary Daly Favored a ‘Tough Prosecutions’ Approach to Battle the Opioid Crisis While Serving as the Director of Opioid Enforcement at the Justice Department
- Mary Daly Left Her Job at the Justice Department When Her Father Became Attorney General, But She Was Not Legally Required To Do So
- Daly Served as the Chief of the Narcotics Unit as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia
- Mary Daly Earned Her Law Degree From Fordham University & Married a Fellow Attorney