Madeleine Schmaltz (Teacher jail for having sex with Student) Wiki – Madeleine Schmaltz (Teacher jail for having sex with Student) Biography
- Madeleine Schmaltz, 30, was charged with fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct for having a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old in 2019
- This week a judge sentenced the former Hermantown Middle School teacher to just three years of supervised probation after she pleaded guilty to the charge
- Schmaltz apologized for her clouded judgement that led to 2019 relationship
- She will have to register as a predatory offender and she’s not allowed contact with the victim or any unapproved contact with anyone under the age of 18
- According to her defense attorney, Ryan Pacyga, Schmaltz no longer lives in the area, is currently working in online clothing sales and is attending therapy
A Minnesota middle school teacher has avoided jail time for having sex with a 16-year-old boy last year.
Madeleine Schmaltz, 30, who used to teach science at Hermantown Middle School, was charged with fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct for having a sexual relationship with the teen.
According to the Duluth News Tribune, Schmaltz was sentenced this week to three years of supervised probation. Her sentence comes just two months after she pleaded guilty to the felony charge.
During a virtual hearing, Schmaltz apologized for her clouded judgement that led to the 2019 relationship.
‘During the spring of 2019, I was going through personal traumatic experiences that did cloud my judgment,’ Schmaltz said at the virtual hearing of State District Court, according to the Tribune.
‘Since then, I’ve been working through those experiences, along with just trying to better myself, and I will continue to do so. I know that my clouded judgment has harmed the victim and the victim’s family, and for that I am truly sorry.’
According to the criminal complaint, Schmaltz, who was also a junior high volleyball coach, had taught the victim a few years prior.
The sexual relationship was discovered by a mandated reporter who contacted police in June 2019, according to Fox 21. Schmaltz resigned from her teaching position at the school that same month.
During interviews with police, both Schmaltz and the victim admitted to having engaged in sexual acts.
Schmaltz ‘admitted to sexual touching of the victim on the victim’s intimate parts and to having the victim touch her on her intimate parts,’ the complaint reads.
Authorities determined that the sexual acts had been occurring at Schmaltz’s house in Saginaw under the guise that he was there for help with homework and mentoring.
At one point, the victim’s mother overheard a phone conversation between her teenager and Schmaltz that was ‘sexual in nature’.
The teen’s mother also said that Schmaltz had given him several gifts.
Schmaltz will have to register as a predatory offender. She’s not allowed any contact with the victim or any unapproved contact with anyone under the age of 18.
If she successfully completes her probation, the felony conviction would be deemed a misdemeanor.
According to her defense attorney, Ryan Pacyga, Schmaltz no longer lives in Duluth, is currently working in online clothing sales and is attending therapy.