Larry Swearingen Biography
Larry Swearingen received the lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville for his part in the brutal strangling of 19-year-old Melissa Trotter, a Montgomery county girl he claimed was his friend.
Nine medical examiners said the victim likely died while Larry Swearingen was in jail for parking tickets. Nine. Texas just killed him, anyway. https://t.co/axBIGbRNAs
— Radley Balko (@radleybalko) August 22, 2019
Larry Swearingen Age
He was 48 years old.
Larry Swearingen Killing Melissa Trotter
Texas plans to execute Larry Swearingen tonight. Nine forensic pathologists examined the evidence and they say that Melissa Trotter was killed around one week before her body was discovered. Larry has an alibi. He was in jail for parking tickets at the time of the crime.
— Sister Helen Prejean (@helenprejean) August 21, 2019
A death row inmate who, for two decades, made staunch claims of innocence and attempted to prove his conviction came as the result of dubious forensic evidence was executed in Texas Wednesday for the abduction, rape, and murder of a suburban Houston community college student in 1998.
Despite Swearingen’s repeated pleas of innocence and a number of push-backs on his execution date – along with Melissa Trotter’s family – prosecutors stood firm on their belief that he was Melissa Trotter killer.
Melissa Trotter Death and Larry Swearingen Arrested
— Innocence Project (@innocence) August 19, 2019
Just three days after she disappeared, Swearingen, then 27, had already been identified as the lead suspect and was in custody having been arrested on unrelated traffic warrants
Trotter, who was last seen alive on December 8, 1998, was murdered and her body dumped in the woods by late end of December 1998 (after 12/23/98). Swearingen was arrested on December 11, 1998, and has not been released ever since.
Larry Swearingen Appeal
Texas plans to execute Larry Swearingen tomorrow. Multiple forensic experts now say that evidence presented at Larry’s trial doesn’t actually hold up under scientific scrutiny and that expert testimony at the trial was “overstated.” Larry has always maintained his innocence.
— Sister Helen Prejean (@helenprejean) August 20, 2019
A last-ditch appeal filed by Swearingen’s attorneys was denied by the US Supreme Court just minutes before his scheduled execution time of 6 pm.
Larry Swearingen lethal injection
Just got here to Huntsville a little bit ago – here’s the schedule as to what Larry Swearingen did in the past 3 days. He talked to a Texas Ranger, got visits from friends, refused breakfast this morning – and cleaned his toilet. pic.twitter.com/id0EkZpIDf
— Keri Blakinger (@keribla) August 21, 2019
As a result, the 48-year-old was escorted into the execution chamber, strapped to an IV, and soon after became the 12th inmate to be put to death in the US this year, and the fourth in Texas – the country’s busiest state for capital punishment.
‘Lord, forgive them,’ Swearingen said into a microphone hanging above his head after the warden asked if he had a final statement. ‘They don’t know what they’re doing.’
Larry Swearingen Last Statement
BREAKING: Larry Swearingen, man convicted of raping & murdering 19-year-old Melissa Trotter in National Forest more than 20 years ago has been executed by the state of Texas; Trotter’s parents witnessed the execution – KVUE pic.twitter.com/YGElYOCUgV
— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) August 22, 2019
In a written statement to The Washington Post shortly before his death, Swearingen warned that ‘Texas murdered an innocent man,’ adding that he hoped his ‘wrongful’ execution could serve as a ‘catalyst to change the insane legal system of Texas which could allow this to happen.’
Melissa Trotter Family Statement
‘Today, justice was served for Melissa (pictured middle),’ her family said in a statement provided to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. ‘This process has been overwhelming. We want to praise God for getting us through this horrific ordeal. We feel we now can move forward and start the healing process.’
Larry Swearingen maintained his innocence for 20 years, and new exculpatory evidence appeared to support his account. Read his full final statement sent to @TomJackmanWP of the Washington Post: “Today the State of Texas murdered an innocent man” pic.twitter.com/1xH4BkFG5B
— Michael Tracey (@mtracey) August 22, 2019
Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Larry Swearingen, forty-eight, acquired the lethal injection on the state prison in Huntsville for his component in the brutal strangling of 19-12 months-old Melissa Trotter
- No matter Swearingen’s repeated pleas of innocence and a number of proof discrepancies, prosecutors stood firm on their perception that he turned into her killer
- A final ditch attraction filed by way of Swearingen’s attorneys became denied with the aid of the united states perfect court just minutes earlier than his scheduled execution time of 6:00 pm
- Trotter was missing for several weeks earlier than her body become located via hunters on January 2, 1999, inside the Sam Houston national woodland
- The teenager was determined with a leg from a pair of pantyhose garroted around her throat. She becomes last seen alive with Swearingen on December eight
- Within the years that followed, Swearingen and his criminal recommend time and again fought to overturn his conviction and demise sentence
- But the Bernard Law Montgomery County district legal professional’s workplace stood firm on their stance of guilt, bringing up ‘a mountain of circumstantial proof’