Kristine Barnett and Michael Barnett, Biography
Kristine Barnett and her ex-husband Michael Barnett are alleged to have dumped Ukrainian-born Natalia Grace at an apartment in Lafayette, Indiana in 2013 before moving to Canada one month later and breaking off contact.
Kristine Barnett Age
She is 45 years old.
Michael Barnett Age
He is 43 years old.
Who is Natalia Grace
Kristine and Michael agreed to the emergency adoption of Ukrainian-born Natalia Grace in May 2010. Her original birth certificate made her 9 but a court would later determine she was in fact 23.
Michael Barnett Statements
She was standing over people in the middle of the night. You couldn’t go to sleep. We had to hide all the sharp objects.
‘I saw her putting chemicals, bleach, Windex something like that, in my coffee and I asked her, what are you doing? She said, “I am trying to poison you.”
‘The media is painting me to be a child abuser but there is no child here,’ said Barnett.
‘Natalia was a woman. She had periods. She had adult teeth. She never grew a single inch, which would happen even with a child with dwarfism.
‘The doctors all confirmed she was suffering a severe psychological illness only diagnosed in adults.
‘She was jumping out of moving cars. She was smearing blood on mirrors. She was doing things you could never imagine a little child doing.’
Before criminal charges were leveled at them on September 11, Barnett and ex-husband Michael were hailed as exemplary parents who raised child ‘genius’ Jake Barnett.
Diagnosed with autism at age two, Jake nonetheless had his first academic paper published at 12 and by 15 was studying at a prestigious physics institute.
Kristine Barnett Statements
In a frank and tearful interview, Kristine Barnett insisted she treated the new addition to her family as if she were her biological child.
She had no hesitation in accepting Natalia despite learning she had a bone growth disorder named spondyloepimetaphyseal dysplasia, which causes short stature, skeletal abnormalities and problems with vision.
‘I always wanted to have a larger family and I had very severe complications in my pregnancies and was unable to have more children,’ Barnett explained.
‘I also at that time had a very privileged life. I felt that if I had the ability to help another person in the world then I wanted to do it.’
Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Kristine Barnett, 45, and ex-husband Michael Barnett, 43 have been charged with abandoning their daughter when she was 9 in Lafayette, Indiana, and fleeing to Canada
- Kristine and Michael agreed to the emergency adoption of Ukrainian-born Natalia Grace in May 2010 from Florida and were told she was 6
- Within a year, Kristine claims Natalia tried pushing her onto an electric fence, poured bleach into her coffee and threatened to stab the Barnetts in their sleep
- Natalia was treated by mental health specialists who determined she was an adult and pressed for the courts to have her birth certificate changed
- In 2012, Marion County Superior Court in Indianapolis decided Natalia was born in 1989, based upon medical evidence
- The Barnetts moved to Canada and left Natalia in an apartment in Lafayette
- Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Department allege that Natalia was a child when they ‘abandoned her in 2013
- Arrest warrant were issued -= both Michael and Katherine surrendered to authorities and have been released on bail