Jim Lammey Biography
Jim Lammey is the Tennessee judge whose recent Facebook posts have some people calling for him to be punished. Lammey reportedly posted racist and anti-Semitic memes and articles on his personal social media accounts. Now a coalition of groups including the NAACP Memphis Branch, Memphis Islamic Center, and Jewish Community Partners has called on authorities to censure Lammey.
Jim Lammey Career
Lammey spent 16 years working as an Assistant District Attorney before being appointed to the bench in 2006. He serves as a criminal judge in the 30th judicial district in Shelby County, Tennessee. Lammey earned his law degree from Memphis State University in 1989 and earned a BA from the University of Mississippi in 1980.
I just tweeted this on TN court Twitter page@TNCourts the DISHONORABLE Judge Jim Lammey is a Holocaust denier and he should be removed from the bench. Therefore He is fundamentally unfit to judge anything or anyone
— Blondon (@bonnie_london) May 10, 2019
Jim Lammey Posted a Story on Facebook
On April 5, Lamey posted an article by David Cole, who’s been widely criticized for allegedly denying the Holocaust. The article criticizes leftist American Jews for encouraging immigration from third world countries; the article compares third-world immigrants to the “golems” of Jewish folklore, which were created in order to protect Jews from a menace but often ended up causing destruction of their own. You can read the whole piece here. Cole singles out Minnesota representative Ilhan Omar for the mention, writing,
— WMC Action News 5 (@WMCActionNews5) May 9, 2019
“What is Congress-Muslim Ilhan Omar if not a golem? For decades, leftist Jews have been the biggest boosters of flooding the West with Third World immigrants. “Hey, here’s a plan—let’s dump a hundred thousand Somalis in the whitest parts of the U.S. That’ll save us from Fargo Hitler!” Inundating the West with nonwhite immigrants is seen by Jews as an insurance policy against “white supremacy.” ”
Shelby County, Tennessee judge Jim Lammey states that Jewish people should ‘get the f**k over the Holocaust’, and posts Islamophobic & racist articles & memes https://t.co/lwwwAyx4pW #muslim #antisemitic #usa
— Glyn ap Myfyr (@Welshbeard) May 10, 2019
Cole writes, “Jews should be particularly afraid of their new Islamic golems. Muzzies might not be smarter than Jews, but they’re stronger and more numerous, and their level of “batshit crazy” is off the charts.” Cole’s article also said that Jews should “get the f*** over the Holocaust.” Lamey has said that he has free speech and that he should not be criticized for what he posts on his personal social media accounts. The judge said that he treats all cases that appear in front of him fairly and that he is not a racist or an anti-Semite.
Groups including the NAACP, the Memphis Islamic Center, and Jewish Community Partners have all said that Lamey should be officially censured for his posts. Beside the April 5 article, Lamey has also shared anti-immigration articles and articles about conspiracy theories.
10 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Justice Jim Lammey, 61, from Shelby County Criminal Court may now be publicly reprimanded, following a Wednesday hearing
- Lammey came under fire after posting a link to an article written by Holocaust denier David Cole that also referred to Muslim immigrants as ‘foreign mud’
- The posts were discovered after Lammey accidentally switched his Facebook profile from private to public
- Lammey, however, insists that he isn’t racist or anti-Semitic and maintains that he has a right to freedom of speech
- He also says that nothing he shared on Facebook would prevent him from presiding over criminal cases impartially and fairly
- The Shelby County Commission committee held a hearing on Wednesday ahead of the vote on whether to publicly censure Lammey
- He Posted a Story Saying that Muslims Have an ‘Off the Charts’ Level of ‘Batsh*t Crazy’ & Telling Jews to ‘Get the F*ck Over the Holocaust’
- Criminal Attorneys Say Lammey Treats African American Defendants Differently from White Defendants
- He Was Appointed to the Bench in 2006 After Serving 16 Years in the DA’s Office
- Lammey Worked in the Oil Industry Before Attending Law School & Going to Work for the DA