Judge Amit Mehta Bio
Judge Amit Mehta, who has been serving on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia since late 2014, is the judge who will decide whether the House Oversight Committee has the right to see several years of President Trump’s tax returns.
The Oversight Committee, chaired by Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland, issued a subpoena to the accounting firm Mazars in April demanding access to the president’s financial records. President Trump sued to block Mazars from responding to the subpoena.
— maybeawriter (@maybeawriter) May 10, 2019
Judge Mehta announced on May 9, 2019, that he was fast-tracking the case. He gave both sides until Monday, May 13, to file any additional documents arguing their position. Oral arguments were scheduled for Tuesday, May 14.
Judge Amit Mehta plans next week to weigh the major legal issues raised in President Donald Trump’s challenge of a congressional subpoena for his accounting firm’s records, according to an order issued Thursday — putting the case on an even faster… https://t.co/DFZ9eXVQ7b
— Hope Vinitsky (@hopevee) May 10, 2019
Judge Amit Mehta plans next week to weigh the major legal issues raised in President Donald Trump’s challenge of a congressional subpoena for his accounting firm’s records — putting the case on an even faster track than it previously looked to be. https://t.co/59XSVZSpEx
— Nathan Gabbard (@nwg83) May 10, 2019
Judge Mehta wrote in the court order:
“The sole question before the court— Is the House Oversight Committee’s issuance of a subpoena to Mazars USA LLP for financial records of President Donald J. Trump and various associated entities a valid exercise of legislative power?— is fully briefed, and the court can discern no benefit from an additional round of legal arguments. Nor is there an obvious need to delay ruling on the merits to allow for development of the factual record.”
10 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Amit Mehta Was Nominated for the Federal Bench By President Obama & Confirmed By the Senate Via Voice Vote
- Mehta Previously Worked as a Criminal Defense Attorney & Represented French Politician Dominique Strauss-Kahn on Sexual Assault Allegations in New York
- Judge Mehta is a Fan of Hip-Hop Music & Wrote About His Familiarity With the Genre in a 2015 Court Opinion
- Amit Mehta Was Named On the National Law Journal’s ‘Minority 40 Under 40’ List in 2011
- Amit Mehta Was Born in India & Earned His Law Degree From the University of Virginia
- According to his District of Columbia bio, Mehta is married with two children.
- Mehta was recognized as a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation in 2011 and 2012.
- Judge Amit Mehta loves to listen to hip-hop music.
- Mehta also reiterated that as a judge, he would rely heavily on precedent to decide challenging cases.