John Hetland Biography
John Hetland of the Racine Police Department was shot and killed in an attempt to stop an armed robbery at a bar Monday, June 17, 2019, according to the Department Facebook page. The suspect, who was seen on surveillance cameras wearing a hood and a mask, is still at large.
According to one of the bar owners, he fled out a back door after struggling with Hetland. It is unclear how many times the cop was shot.
In memory of Officer John D. Hetland, Racine, WI Police Department. pic.twitter.com/jsdnxPa2x1
— Romeoville Police (@Romeoville_PD) June 18, 2019
Currently, no arrests have been made.
John Hetland Age
He was 49 years old.
life and property.’
The flag in front of #Racine City Hall at half staff in honor of @RacinePD Officer John Hetland, killed overnight trying to stop an armed tavern robbery. Suspect remains at large. Briefing at 1pm to be carried live on @WISN12News and https://t.co/ENWZAnhcsg pic.twitter.com/5qLrqbIc6m
— Nick Bohr (@NickBohrWISN) June 18, 2019
‘It is with profound sadness and grief that we announce the line of duty death,’ chief Arthel L. Howell said.
Our hearts go out to the Racine Police Dept. and family &friends for their loss of Patrol Officer John Hetland. Gone but never forgotten. ? pic.twitter.com/etpzDv2owc
— Superintendent Donald Stephens III (@Supt_Stephens) June 18, 2019
Fast Facts You Need to Know
- John Hetland, 49, was shot and killed on Monday night in Racine, Wisconsin
- He was killed in Teezers Tavern by a masked gunman who is still at large
- Hetland struggled with him when he entered the bar and was fatally shot
- The gunman fled through a backdoor afterwards, one of the owners said
- The cop was a 24-year veteran and once worked for the FBI