Jessica Kwong Biography
Jessica Kwong is a Los Angeles native, Jessica Kwong grew up speaking Spanish, Cantonese, and English, in that order.
A @Newsweek story was initially headlined: “How is Trump Spending Thanksgiving? Tweeting, Golfing, and More.”
But Trump was actually in #Afghanistan visiting troops.
— The Epoch Times (@EpochTimes) November 30, 2019
Her journalism career started at the San Francisco Chronicle and she has also been a staff writer at the San Antonio Express-News, La Opinión, Time Warner Cable Sports, San Francisco Examiner, and the Orange County Register.
Kwong earned her bachelor’s degree in Comparative Literature in Spanish and English and Mass Communications from the University of California, Berkeley.
Jessica Kwong Fired from Newsweek
It was kind of harsh for @Newsweek to fire @JessicaGKwong over her report on what Trump was doing for Thanksgiving, especially given this information:https://t.co/xFYUpLrTkC pic.twitter.com/ORlf8BWAjZ
— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) December 1, 2019
Newsweek has fired a political reporter whose story claimed Donald Trump would be spending Thanksgiving ‘tweeting, golfing and more’ – before the president spent the day serving turkey dinners to US troops in Afghanistan.
A story by political reporter Jessica Kwong was published on Thursday morning with the initial headline: ‘How is Trump spending Thanksgiving? Tweeting, golfing and more.’
But the president made an unannounced visit to Afghanistan to greet US troops and meet with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani to discuss reopening talks with the Taliban.
#NEW on @OANN: @Newsweek reporter @JessicaGKwong who wrote an article saying @realDonaldTrump was “tweeting, golfing, and more’ while the Pres. was actually serving Thanksgiving dinner to American troops in Afghanistan, ‘has been terminated’ from her job.
— EmFinn (@EmilyRoseFinn) November 30, 2019
The Washington Examiner quoted a Newsweek spokesman who said: “Newsweek investigated the failures that led to the publication of the inaccurate report that President Trump spent Thanksgiving tweeting and golfing rather than visiting troops in Afghanistan.
“The story has been corrected, and the journalist responsible has been terminated. We will continue to review our processes and, if required, take further action.”
Ms Kwong posted shortly after the correction was made: “Deleting this tweet because it was written before knowing about the president’s surprise visit to Afghanistan – an honest mistake. Story has already been updated, as shown in the screenshot.”
Jessica Kwong Twitter
Fast Facts You Need to Know
- A story by Jessica Kwong was published Thursday morning with the initial headline: ‘How is Trump spending Thanksgiving? Tweeting, golfing and more’
- The president made an unannounced visit to Afghanistan to greet US troops
- Kwong claimed it has been an ‘honest mistake’, and the story had been written in advance and not editors did not update it, but Newsweek still fired her
- Don Jr. slammed her story as ‘fake news’ and said it wasn’t an ‘honest mistake’
- Trump retweeted his son, writing: ‘I thought Newsweek was out of business?’
- Her story’s headline was later updated to read: ‘How is Trump spending Thanksgiving? Tweeting, golfing — and surprising U.S. troops in Afghanistan’