Gemma Downey Bio
Gemma Downey is an American model from Billingshurst, West Sussex. She felt her shoes rubbing against her heels while she was walking to the train station on her way to an appointment.
Gemma Downey Age
She is 23 years old.
Gemma Downey Shoes
Miss Downey bought the espadrille platforms from a second-hand shop last year and had only worn them a handful of times.
WHAT IS SEPSIS?
Sepsis occurs when the body reacts to an infection by attacking its own organs and tissues.
Some 44,000 people die from sepsis every year in the UK. Worldwide, someone dies from the condition every 3.5 seconds.
Sepsis has similar symptoms to flu, gastroenteritis and a chest infection.
- Slurred speech or confusion
- Extreme shivering or muscle pain
- Passing no urine in a day
- Severe breathlessness
- It feels like you are dying
- Skin mottled or discolored
Symptoms in children are:
- Fast breathing
- Fits or convulsions
- Mottled, bluish or pale skin
- Rashes that do not fade when pressed
- Feeling abnormally cold
Under fives may be vomiting repeatedly, not feeding or not urinating for 12 hours.
Anyone can develop sepsis but it is most common in people who have recently had surgery, have a urinary catheter or have stayed in hospital for a long time.
Other at-risk people include those with weak immune systems, chemotherapy patients, pregnant women, the elderly and the very young.
Treatment varies depending on the site of the infection but involves antibiotics, IV fluids and oxygen, if necessary.
Source: UK Sepsis Trust and NHS Choices
Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Gemma Downey noticed the straps of her shoes were rubbing last week
- ‘Tiny blister’ with a ‘strange colour’ turned into swelling all over her foot
- Doctors warned if she had left it, they may have been forced to amputate her leg