Francisco Erwin Galicia Bio
Francisco Erwin Galicia, 18, was born in Dallas in 2000, a birth certificate provided by his lawyer, Claudia Galan, shows. But he still had been held since by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and then Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) since June 27.
Francisco Erwin Galicia Age
He is 18 years old.
Francisco Erwin Galicia Detained
The boys were with a group traveling to a soccer scouting event when Francisco was detained after failing to produce a US passport, while he showed officials his Texas state ID, the boys’ mother, Sanjuana Galicia, told The Dallas Morning News.
The brothers were detained at a CBP checkpoint in Falfurrias, Texas, Galan told the newspaper. Galicia’s younger brother, Marlon, was born in Mexico and lacked legal status. Both boys, however, were taken to a detention center.
He was kept in custody due in part to an inaccurate US travel visa obtained by his mother that falsely stated he was born in Mexico, according to the Washington Post.
Meanwhile, inside the detention center, Francisco was unable to make phone calls for three weeks, his mother said. He has since been moved into ICE custody and was able to make a collect call to his mother on Saturday.
When they were first detained, Marlon had a school I.D. and his older brother was carrying his Texas state I.D. card, which can only be obtained with a Social Security number, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Galan told CBS News she then provided CBP and ICE with several documents proving her client is a U.S. citizen, including his birth certificate, his temporary I.D., health insurance cards and a high school I.D.
Galan said earlier Tuesday she would be visiting the detention center on Tuesday to speak with his
Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Francisco Erwin Galicia was transferred to ICE custody on Saturday after he was apprehended by CBP at a Falfurrias checkpoint on June 27
- Francisco was traveling with his brother, Marlon Galicia, 17, who is not a citizen
- Francisco had his Texas state ID but not his passport. Marlon had his school ID
- Both boys were apprehended, and Marlon was released two days later after signing a voluntary deportation order so he could talk to his mother
- Marlon is now staying in Mexico with his grandmother, and Francisco was last known to have been being held at the South Texas Detention Facility in Pearsall
- Francisco’s mother Sanjuana Galicia said Francisco was denied access to a phone while in CBP custody and couldn’t reach her until in ICE custody Saturday