Darryl Boykins Wiki
Pete Buttigieg has been mayor just thirteen weeks while he confronted a management disaster.
It becomes March 2012, and 300 residents of South Bend, Ind., solemnly marched to the Martin Luther King center to protest the killing in Florida of a black youngster, Trayvon Martin.
A prominent parent on the demonstration became Darryl Boykins, South Bend’s first black police chief. in demand for teaching tennis and boxing to younger human beings, he had been promoted to leader five years earlier after prevailing the respect of both black and white officers in a department that from time to time divided along racial strains.
Mr. Buttigieg addressed the protesters but appeared no longer to have interaction with Mr. Boykins. What no one inside the crowd knew become that the police top brass was in turmoil — shaken by way of allegations that Mr. Boykins had improperly taped telephone calls of senior white officials who were said to have used racist language, which includes about him.
With federal prosecutors scrutinizing Mr. Boykins, the 29-yr-vintage mayor fired the veteran police chief just earlier than the Trayvon Martin protest. No movement changed into taken against the officials. precisely what they said at the tapes of their branch telephone calls is unknown to the general public: Mr. Buttigieg has refused to release them, saying the matter continues to be being resolved in court docket.
Top 10 Facts You Need to Know About Darryl Boykins
- Darryl Boykins joined the South Bend Police Department in 1984
- Pete Buttigieg Reoppined him 4 Weeks ago
- Boykins’ attorney alleges in the lawsuit that Schmuhl, acting on behalf of Buttigieg
- Four South Bend Police Officers Sued the City, Darryl Boykins & the Communications Director For Invasion of Privacy; the Lawsuit Alleges That Boykins Ordered Taps on Officers’ Phone Lines to Determine Who Was Personally Loyal to Him
- Pete Buttigieg & the Federal Lawsuit Allege That He Was Pressured by the U.S. Attorney to Fire Chief Boykins or Else Boykins Would Face Federal Charges
- The Tapes Allegedly Included Racist Language Against Chief Boykins; the South Bend City Council Has Pushed for the Tapes to Be Made Public
- Darryl Boykins Sued Pete Buttigieg & the City of South Bend, Alleging That His Demotion Had Been Racially Motivated; the Case Was Settled Out of Court & Boykins Continued Working for the Police Department as a Captain
- Boykins helped to launch South Bend’s Police Athletic League.
- Captain Darryl Boykins Served as a South Bend Police Officer For More Than 30 Years & Was Honored With a Distinguished Achievement Award For His Community Outreach in 2018
- The South Bend Alumni Association honored Captain Darryl Boykins in November of 2018 at the annual Hall of Fame Awards