Yusi ‘Molly’ Zhao Wiki
This is the young woman who was admitted to Stanford University after her father paid $6.5 million to William Rick Singer, the mastermind behind the Operation Varsity Blues scandal.
The student whose family paid $6.5 million in order for her to be admitted to Stanford University has been identified as Chinese national Yusi Zhao, who also went by the name Molly.
Admitted to Stanford in 2017, Zhao was recruited into the school’s sailing program despite not being a sailor. Later, it’s alleged her family paid college admission scandal ringleader William ‘Rick’ Singer $6.5 million.
The Stanford Daily report on Zhao is an exhaustive and in-depth look at the $6.5 million bribes and scandal.
On March 12, federal prosecutors announced the indictments and arrests of 50 people alleged to be part of a conspiracy to influence admissions decisions for otherwise unqualified college applicants. It’s alleged a number of parents paid more than $25 million in total to Singer, a college admissions adviser and the cheating and bribery scheme leader. He has been cooperating since September of 2018.
Zhao’s father is Tao Zhao, a Chinese billionaire.
Yusi Zhao, who was a psychology and Asian studies major, was expelled from Stanford in either late March or early April, though that has not been confirmed by the University, though the Stanford Daily has more reporting on this.
Yusi Zhao, who also goes by Molly, was admitted to Stanford in the spring of 2017, after her family paid $6.5 million and Singer claimed she was a competitive sailor despite there being no indication she competed in the sport
— President “I Believe Putin” (@realworldrj) May 2, 2019
Weibo media screengrab
The student whose family paid $6.5 million in order for h… pic.twitter.com/yFd3q4SHFs
— Jayna (@Jaynarkliner) May 2, 2019
Yusi ‘Molly’ Zhao was admitted to Stanford in 2017 reports the Los Angeles Times, traveling to California from her home in Beijing to attend the elite university whose alums include Chelsea Clinton, Reese Witherspoon, Tiger Woods and Corey Booker.
Molly’s family met Singer through a Morgan Stanley money manager, and Singer ultimately presented her as a sailing recruit to help guarantee her admission.
Her father, Tao Zhao, is the co-founder of multibillion-dollar pharmaceutical company Shandong Buchang, based in China.
He was among the men and women named in the Panama Papers.
DailyMail.com has learned that Stanford was quick to act when they learned about the scandal and quickly expelled the young woman in late March according to multiple sources with ties to the college.
The Stanford Daily reports that Zhao’s expulsion date was March 30, three days before the school revealed an unidentified student had been ordered to leave the school for submitting false information with her application.
10 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Yusi ‘Molly’ Zhao was admitted to Stanford in 2017 reports the Los Angeles Times, traveling to California from her home in Beijing to attend the school
- Her father paid $6.5 million to William Rick Singer to gain his daughter admission at the school reports the Los Angeles Times
- DailyMail.com has learned from multiple sources with ties to the school that this same student was expelled last month by the college
- Zhao was majoring in psychology and East Asian studies, and dreamed of having a job with the Chinese government
- Her father, Tao Zhao, is the co-founder of multibillion-dollar pharmaceutical company Shandong Buchang and was named in the Panama Papers
- The Alleged $6.5 Million-Dollar Bribe to Get a Chinese Student Into Stanford University
- Her Father is Chinese Billionaire Tao Zhao Who Has Had His Own Scandals
- Yusi Zhao is All Over Chinese Social Media
- More Than 50 Were Initially Charged in the Nationwide College Admissions Exam Cheating & Athletic Recruitment Scheme
- Other Students Too Were Outed, the Children of the Rich Who Paid Millions to See Their Sons & Daughters Admitted to Ivy League & Top Tier Schools Where they Otherwise Wouldn’t Have Made the Grade
While #China is being plagued by fake vaccine scandals, a co-founder of a big Chinese pharmaceutical company paid 6.5M USD bribery 4 his daughter’s college admission. No wonder he didn’t dare to make direct donation to #Stanford or else ppl’d question him. https://t.co/7StevX510X
— Badcanto (@Badcanto) May 2, 2019