Carl Girouard Biography – Carl Girouard Wiki
Carl Girouard has been identified as the suspect in the Quebec City sword attacks that left two dead and five injured.
Carl Girouard is a 24-year-old Montreal man who was identified as two dead and at least five injured in random sword attacks in Quebec City, Canada, according to the report of Le Journal de Quebec.
Police said at a press conference that the suspect wore medieval clothes and was armed with a Japanese-style katana sword. Some witnesses described the suspect as posing as a samurai, according to the CBC. According to the police, the attack was planned in advance, but the victims were chosen at random.
Victims of the attacks were not identified, but officials said they were all residents of Quebec City and included two French citizens who had been living in Canada for several years. Little information about Girouard has been published so far. Police say the suspect is scheduled to appear on video on Sunday (November 1st). According to the newspaper’s report, the authorities did not officially reveal his name, but Le Journal also confirmed his Quebec identity with various sources. Radio Canada also identified the suspect as Girouard, according to the CBC.
Girouard Motivated for ‘Personal Reasons’ Police Says and Has No Known Links with Terrorist Groups
According to the police, Girouard is believed to be motivated for “personal reasons” and there are no known links with terrorist or hate groups. Police said the investigation was ongoing, but Girouard was not believed to be due to religious or political ideology. Police said they did not believe the attack was linked to the recent terrorism in France.
Quebec City Police Chief Robert Pigeon told reporters at a press conference that the suspect arrived in Quebec City “with the intention of causing as much damage as possible” during the stabbing and violence. “Some of them have serious injuries, but we are not afraid for their lives,” Pigeon said of the surviving victims.
Police spokesperson Etienne Doyon said investigators are working to determine whether Girouard acted alone. “Nothing is impossible,” he told Global News. “But for now, we are happy to have arrested a suspect and the investigation is ongoing.”
Pigeon, according to Le Soleil, “Someone who disguises himself, takes the stage with a knife blade and a costume and randomly targets victims on his way, I think he obviously planned his action. Said.
Girouard Known to Have Mental Health Problems Prior to Attacks and Previously Threatened with Killing People
GettyFire trucks were parked in front of the Quebec National Assembly in Quebec City early November 1, 2020.
It is known that Girouard had mental health problems before the attacks, authorities held at a press conference on Sunday. While officials repeatedly emphasized mental health at the press conference, the mayor of Quebec City said the government should address mental health issues in the community.
According to police, the suspect made violent threats in 2014, including threatening to kill people in a “medical context”.
Michelle Chagnon, a neighbor of the apartment complex in the Montreal area of Girouard, told Le Journal de Quebec, “This is very sad. This is the man who smashed the bus driver’s jawbone. I think there is a lack of mental health resources in the region. It started to be unreliable. “According to CTV News, Chagnon was describing an attack in September 2020 by a man in Montreal who said a female bus driver was enraged by police being told to wear a mask.
Attacks that took place in 4 different regions and the events that the police called “Fright Night” that lasted more than 2 hours
The attacks started around 22:30. According to the CBC, Saturday night is Halloween. According to the news outlet, the attacks occurred near the Chateau Frontenac hotel on du Trssor Street and on des Remparts Street.
“Last night, when a 24-year-old man who didn’t live in Quebec City came here with the intention of taking as many victims as possible, we were dragged into a night of horror,” said police chief Pigeon. news conference.
The body of the first victim was found on du Tresor Street near the Chateau Frontenac hotel, according to the CBC. According to Le Soleil, the first victim was “slaughtered” and there was a wound “punctured” through her body and there was a lot of blood. The second was located on des Remparts Street. The police had been looking for the suspect for more than two hours.
The suspect was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated after showing signs of hypothermia, officials said at a press conference. He has since been taken to a police station to be questioned.
Carlos Godoy, a Quebec City resident, told The Associated Press police searched his neighborhood while looking for the suspect. “It’s a full moon, it’s October 31st. It’s Halloween, and it’s a lockdown weekend. No one should be out on the streets,” Godoy told The AP. “And I’m in an extremely quiet neighborhood because there are no tourists nowadays.” According to The Associated Press, the area where the stabbings occurred would normally be bustling with crowds.
Girouard, Who Lives in Sainte-Therese, Does Not Have a Criminal Record
Girouard, who is from Montreal’s North Shore, does not have a criminal record, the Quebec City police chief said at Sunday’s press conference. He said details about previous threats were made in a mental health context, not in a criminal one.
According to Le Journal de Quebec, police were searching Girouard’s home on Place Brosseau in Sainte-Therese and were also searching his vehicle. He was scheduled to appear in court via video on Sunday for the first time. It was not immediately clear what charges he is facing.
We are unable to locate any confirmed social media profiles or other information about Girouard’s online history, including whether he made any statements or posts about the attack, either before or during it. Officials said at the Sunday press conference that videos posted on social claiming to show the suspect have not been confirmed as authentic or connected to the incident.
Officials Condemned the ‘Barbarous Act’ & Said It Brought Back Memories of the 2017 Mosque Attack in Quebec City That Left 6 Dead & 19 Injured
Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume said at a press conference Sunday the killings brought back memories of the 2017 attack on a mosque in Quebec City that left six people dead and 19 injured. “I have the distinct impression of replaying in an old film, a film whose action took place on January 29, 2017 at the mosque in Quebec,” Labeaume said. “It is a hallucinatory, terrifying event, an event which is obviously beyond comprehension.”
Labeaume said the incident appeared to be isolated. “I feel the need to remember that this drama does not call into question the fact that this city is one of the safest in the world, but it is difficult and almost impossible to foresee the consequences of the madness resulting visibly from mental health problems,” the mayor said.
The mayor added, “There needs to be solidarity. This tragedy adds to our collective mental load from the pandemic, we will do everything necessary to deal with the psychological consequences of tragedy.”
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted, “My heart breaks for the loved ones of the two people killed in last night’s horrific attack in Quebec City. I’m also wishing a full recovery to the injured. We’re keeping you in our thoughts and will be there for you. To all the first responders, thank you for your critical work.”
Premier Francois Legault said on Twitter, “Quebec wakes up after a night of horror. I do not have the words to describe such a tragedy.”