Cade Cothren Wiki
The Tennessee House speaker’s chief of staff on Monday admitted using cocaine in a legislative office building when he held a previous job, allegedly used a racial slur to describe NFL star Jameis Winston, and exchanged sexually explicit text messages about women with his boss.
Cade Cothren, chief of staff to House Speaker Glen Casada, declined to respond to allegations that he may have tampered with evidence in a criminal case, an allegation that Casada, when pressed, called ‘absolutely false.’
Speaker Casada’s $200,000-a-year aide Cade Cothren allegedly gave forged documents to the police in order to jail a young black activist.
The Tennessean on Monday also reported Cothren sent sexually explicit messages to and made ‘inappropriate’ advances toward former interns, lobbyists and campaign staffers between 2014 and 2016.
The Tennessee House speaker’s top aide has resigned amid allegations that the aide sent racist and sexually explicit texts.
The TV station also reported that Cothren may have tampered with evidence by making it look like student activist Justin Jones sent an email to Casada in violation of his bond conditions after his arrest in February during protests at Casada’s office.
This is TN House Speaker @GlenCasada’s chief of staff talking about @Jaboowins. He’s 31 and he makes $200K a year as a state employee. @GlenCasada has no plans to fire him. I think we should fire them both.
Jones has argued that he actually wrote the email to Casada before his arrest and that someone changed the date to make it look like it was afterward.
When pressed by reporters, Casada called the allegations ‘absolutely false.’ Cothren has refused to answer questions about it.
The district attorney’s office also has since requested that a special prosecutor take over Jones’ case because the email’s authenticity has not been verified.
10 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- He Solicited Oral Sex & Nude Photos from an Intern & Tried to Solicit Sex from a Lobbyist
- Cade Cothren is the chief of staff to Tennessee House Speaker Glen Casada
- Cothren admitted on Monday to using cocaine in a legislative office building
- He said he turned to ‘maladaptive coping mechanisms’ in job with ‘unrelenting stress’
- Cothren would not say if he referred to black people as ‘idiots’ in text messages
- He is also alleged to have called Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston a ‘thug n****r’
- The Tennessean reported that Cothren sent sexually explicit messages to and made ‘inappropriate’ advances toward ex-interns, staffers, and lobbyists
- He Says He Once Had a Substance Abuse Problem & Admits He Used Cocaine in the Legislative Office Building
- Cothren Has Been Working in Politics Ever Since Graduating from the University of Tennessee
- Cothren’s Boss Says Everyone Deserves a Shot at Redemption
In the past week we’ve learned that Cade Cothren, the Chief of Staff for Tennessee House Speaker @GlenCasada:
Called Black people niggers & idiots
Snorted Cocaine in the office
Solicited Sex from Interns & Lobbyists
Called women cunts
Called cops cocksuckers
AND STILL HAS A JOB
— Shaun King (@shaunking) May 6, 2019