Bruce McConville Biography, Bruce McConville Wiki
Bruce McConville, 55, from Ottawa told a Superior Court judge that he burnt the money out of frustration after being told he needed to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in child and spousal support.
Bruce McConville Age
He is 55 years old
Bruce McConville Burned $1 Million
Bruce McConville is a Canadian man who claims he burned $1 million cash to avoid giving it to his ex-wife. Bruce McConville claimed he burned the cash – $743,000 in September and $296,000 in December – but doesn’t have any video evidence of the bonfires
According to an Ottawa Citizen report of McConville’s court appearance, the businessman told the judge that he had taken out 25 withdrawals from six different bank accounts for a total of $1,050,000. Although he said he still had the receipts to prove it, he no longer has the money.
When the judge pushed McConville for more information about where the money is located, the Citizen reports that McConville answered simply: “I burnt it.” He told the judge the money was burned in two different bonfires, one for $743,000 on September 23, and $296,000 on December 15.
Bruce McConville Sentenced
The judge gave McConville a 30-day sentence in jail, and he also faces “severe financial penalties” for each day he ignores court requests to provide his financial details. The judge also ordered McConville to pay $2,000 each day to his ex-wife, regardless of any decisions on child and spousal support.
The businessman has ignored many court orders to reveal his finances. According to the Ottawa Citizen, McConville ignored requests from the court to file affidavits about his finances and has not paid any child or spousal support.
The court alleges that he sold his businesses and properties despite an order not to and even sold some of those assets to his former accountant. The court also requested that McConville pay $300,000 to the court as a security, which he failed to do. All of these attempts by McConville to hide his financial affairs from the court led to the contempt motion and his appearance in court last week.
Fast Facts You Need to Know
- A Canadian man claims he burned $1 million cash to avoid giving it to his ex-wife
- Judge didn’t believe him and sent Bruce McConville, 55, from Ottawa to jail
- He is accused of selling some of his properties and businesses to his former accountant, even though a court order told him not to sell any assets
- McConville has not produced any documentation to show how much he made
- The man claimed he burned the cash – $743,000 in September and $296,000 in December – but doesn’t have any video evidence of the bonfires
- After being released from jail in 30 days, McConville will be fined $2,000-a-day until he reveals the true whereabouts of the missing million