Joann Cunningham Wiki
JoAnn Cunningham is the mother of AJ Freund, a five year old boy who went missing April 18 and whose body has since been recovered by police. Police found Freund’s body in a rural area several miles from his home on April 24, according to The Chicago Tribune. Police found his body in a shallow grave, wrapped in plastic, per a press conference on Wednesday.
Both Cunningham and Andrew Freund Sr. have been charged with five counts of murder in connection to the death of their son, according to a press conference given by Crystal Lake police on Wednesday. In total, Cunningham is being charged with five counts of 1st-degree murder, four counts of aggravated battery, two counts of aggravated domestic battery, and one count of failure to report a missing child or the death of a child. Meanwhile, Andrew Sr. is also being charged with five counts of 1st-degree murder, as well as two counts of aggravated battery, one count of aggravated domestic battery, two counts of concealment of a homicidal death, and one count of failure to report child death.
During the press conference, an officer with the Crystal Lake police said in part,
“The police department and the FBI interviewed [Andrew Sr. and Cunningham] after information was obtained through forensic analysis of cell phone data. Once presented with the evidence obtained by investigators, both JoAnn and Andrew Sr. provided information that led to what we believe is the recovery of [AJ]…investigators located what they believed to be AJ’s body buried in a shallow grave wrapped in plastic in a remote area of Woodstock, Illinois.”
The search for Freund has been a complex one, as police confirmed in the days since his disappearance that search dogs were unable to pick up the young boy’s scent anywhere outside of his home. According to The Chicago Tribune, Cunningham, who has gone through periods of refusal to cooperate with the police, was seen entering the Crystal Lake police station on Wednesday morning; though her lawyer was seen leaving the station later that morning, the publication reports that he left without her.
10 Fast Fact You Need to Know About AJ Freund’s Mother Joann Cunningham
- Cunningham Was Described as ‘Uncooperative’ by Police
- Freund’s father, Andrew Freund Sr., he has issued several public pleas to his son for him to come home
- Both Cunningham and Andrew Freund Sr. have been charged with five counts of murder in connection to the death of their son
- Cunningham’s Mother, Lorelei Hughes, Filed a Petition Against Cunningham & Andrew Sr., Accusing Them of Neglect
- Freund Was Born With Opiates in His System; Family Services Had On & Off Contact With the Freunds From 2013-2018
- The reports display a picture of a home that was “cluttered, dirty, and in disrepair.” One report reads
- Cunningham’s Other, Younger Son Has Been Placed in Protective Custody
- The Freund family also seems to have gotten in trouble with the law in relation to their pet dog, Lucy
- Neighbors Have Spoken Out About the Freund Family
- A number of neighbors spoke to The Chicago Tribune about Freund’s apparent and sudden disappearance. Quirine Dahlquist, a neighbor who lives around the corner from the Freunds, said, “I’m freaking out for the family and I don’t even know them.
— Eric Cox (@EricCoxTV) April 24, 2019
Where is this adorable little boy?
5-year-old #AndrewFreund was last seen by his mother and her boyfriend at 9 Wednesday night. When the family woke up, they say Andrew was gone.
Now the FBI has joined in on the search to find him. https://t.co/QrjaxjdWGl
— Tia A. Ewing (@TIA_EWING) April 19, 2019